In these installations, after following a physical procedure, for which sea water vaporizers are commonly used, the temperature of liquefied natural gas (LNG) is increased and it is thus transformed into a gaseous state. Natural gas is injected in gas pipelines to be transported all over the Peninsula.
Enagás currently has three regasification plants, situated in Barcelona, Cartagena and Huelva, and the company has also completed the construction of a fourth plant called El Musel, in Gijón.
Moreover, in the last six months of 2010, Enagás closed the 40% purchase of Bahía Bizkaia Gas (BBG). With an 800,000 m3(n)/h emission capacity and a storage of 300,000 m3 LNG in two tanks, and situated in Bilbao's port, BBG is one of the main entry points for the natural gas in the Cantabrian Strip.
In 2011 1S, Enagás bought 40 % of the shares of the Altamira's Regasification Plant (Mexico), and the Dutch company Vopak achieved the remaining 60% of the terminal.
In addition, in September 2012 the company acquired the 20% stake in the GNL Quintero regasification terminal. These operations are complementary activities of the company and they are linked to its main business.
In the coming years the number of unloads from large methane tankers originating from Trinidad and Tobago, Nigeria, and the Gulf of Persia is set to increase in order to cover a rise in demand. For this reason, Enagás is expanding its regasification plants with the objective of reinforcing the structure of supplies in the Iberian Peninsula and to continue to increase the variety of gas origins.
More information about Enagás regasification plants is available in Projects and New Infrastructures.
In this website it is also available the document about Best Practices in LNG Terminals presented to the NGTS Working Group the 2nd of March 2010.